In Amsterdam, the Directorate of Levant Trade (1625-1826) coordinated maritime contact with the Ottoman Empire. Dutch ships brought Leiden cloth, minted silver and other produce to the sultan’s realm. They returned with goods such as angora wool, cotton, silk and dried fruit.
In the town hall on Dam Square, the directors met each week in the Directorate’s chamber. The room was decorated with paintings and maps of the exotic Ottoman Empire. These works from the Directorate chamber are brought together here for the first time in over two hundred years.
Select a picture to read about the spectacular paintings at the Chamber of Levant Trade.